Christmas Tree Lane participates in affiliate advertising, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you purchase via our links. Thank you for your continued support.
Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Organize with Lists

Christmas has so many aspects that it is hard to keep a good system for organization.  One of the things that helps me a lot is a simple list.


Even lists can use some structure, though, and here are some lists that I use to keep me organized. Some of these lists are ongoing and need updating regularly, others are just for the season.  So let's get started and learn about lists!

1.  Gifts

Like most, I keep a master list subdivided by person for all my gifts.  I print it and keep it in a notebook to refer to in the future.  It has shown me how my spending patterns change over time.  There are many good ones on Pinterest if you don't want to create one yourself.

2.  Things to Buy

I keep a running list of things that I need to replenish from year to year.  For example, last year I noticed that my plaid tablecloth was on its last leg.  I added it to my list to replace for this year. I also always tend to forget paper products and make a last minute run to the store.  Over time I have learned all my tendencies to forget, procrastinate, etc.  This list helps!

3.  DIY

I keep a list of all the things I want to make for myself or for gifts for others.  I make this an electronic list, so I can keep URLs for those projects.  Do you remember tear files? I used to tear out things from magazines and keep them in a file for future use.  This is like a tear file, but electronic. Do you have some favorite DIY sites?  I truly like Mixed Kreations for simple repurposing and I love Random Acts of Crafts for their wonderful round ups!

4.  Christmas Cards

This list is the one that is getting more and more of a puzzle. I love love love sending Christmas cards, but it seems to be a dying craft.  My list, at it's largest, was over 300.  Now it is closer to 50. I am in a couple of Christmas Card exchanges which are a lot of fun!  I do use an electronic list for this but I handwrite my cards.  I generally get started around the first of November with a goal to send them out on December 1.  I love photo cards the most (next to Charlie Brown cards!) and each year it is fun to have our photo taken for the card. This year we are using a photo from our vacation.  My favorite card sites are Shutterfly and VistaPrint

5.  Menus

This is my favorite thing to work on!  All year I am trying different breakfast casseroles and brunch items to create the perfect Christmas breakfast.  It is a tradition that we love!  I love to peruse Pinterest to find ideas and I save them to my Christmas Breakfast Board.  Then in November I start to narrow down the list and finally, after much deliberation, choose what will be the Christmas Breakfast of the Year.  I make a grocery list and then set it aside until I need it.  I also plan menus for my Annual Cookie Exchange and Christmas Eve (we do an entire meal of nothing but appetizers!)

6.  Cleaning

Blech.  This is my least favorite list of all.  I have it down to a science now though, because I have been doing it for 40 years!  I basically take one room a week and do a deep cleaning.  I always put the living room the week before Thanksgiving, as we decorate our tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.  That means the room is clean and ready for decorations!  I leave the kitchen until the week after Thanksgiving.  Then it is all ready for Christmas baking and cooking!  Everything fabric gets washed, everything glass gets polished, floors get scrubbed and I knock down cobwebs and whatever else needs attention.  All the lighting gets cleaned as well.

7.  Christmas Cooking

I make cookies and candies to give to friends and family throughout the season.  I have started to make small batches and to give a variety plate instead of a large batch of one thing.  I host a Cookie Exchange in order to help with that process.  I make list of the tried and true recipes I want to make and then I have a list of those new items that I found that I want to try.  I have a number of Pinterest fails each year but then there are some that make the tried and true list!  I'll be sharing this list later on!

I hope my lists help you be a bit more organized over the holidays!  

I have a new way of tracking my lists.  Have you heard of Rocket Wave Notebooks?  I am in love with these!  I have added a little video to share about this wonderful invention.  I plan to buy these as gifts for all my nieces and nephews!


You can buy these through Amazon.  If you choose to purchase one, I would love it if you would use my link.  The cost is the same for you but I get a tiny commission.  It is a way that you can support this blog for future posts!  I would love to learn from you!  What lists are you writing for the holidays?


Would you like to comment?

  1. I am the QUEEN of lists. I have lists for everything. And once I cross a few things off my list, I like to rewrite them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never hosted a cookie exchange but I love the idea. Maybe I'll give it a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I create lists for list making. Haha. Seriously. I have a thousand sticky notes with lists on them, and I love list making during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making lists for all of the things. I am excited about the holidays and have a list of cookies, get togethers and fun things I want to do. I love that notebook but really I just LOVE notebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having a hard time with Christmas coming so fast lol I love it but This year has just flown by! I haven't even really started thinking about lists and gifts yet but I need to

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh a cookie exchange I want to start this. I love lists and keep many of them. I think that’s my problem too many to keep track of! - Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think anyone can ever survive Christmas without a list, even Santa will agree! I think these are really important, especially the things that you need to buy and the gifts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lists. Thank you for this list of lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh we could be twins! I actually now keep all my different lists in a binder to reuse and tweak if necessary each year. :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be Christmas before you know it and I am so excited! I am bookmarking this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making lists all the time, as I definitely wouldn't be able to remember a thing otherswise! Christmas is such a busy time of year so it is important to be as organised as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that is almost time to start planning for christmas. I really want to get a head start on the christmas cleaning. There is nothing better than having a clean house for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cookie exchange would be fun. I always have good intentions, but I think this year is the year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited to start DIYing decorations. We just moved into a new home a few weeks ago and it's going to be a great holiday season here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It always feels like I spend more time making lists at Christmas than actually celebrating! In fact, it is probably time I get started.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lists are seriously how I make my survival as a mother. These are some great ideas for making sure that you keep them organized and together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally a list person anyway, and I LOVE your idea of keeping several running holiday lists like this! This will be my first Christmas since I started bullet journaling back in January, so I think I will add some of these running lists into my bullet journal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to get on the menu list. Not just for the special days, but the days before and after. Thanks for giving me the push to get into gear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have never thought to make a list just for holiday menus, but I'm SOOOO doing that this year! What a smart way to keep everything organized (and the spending under control). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always look forward to christmas but I always forget all the stress it can be. I do think creating list is the best idea and these are great lists to start.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always want to be on top of it at the holidays so I don't get stressed out. These lists should help out a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments are like getting a candy cane on your present! Special!