Christmas Tree Lane participates in affiliate advertising, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you purchase via our links. Thank you for your continued support.
Sunday, December 29, 2013

Challenge 29: Things I am Letting Go of...

I am retiring at the end of this school year and already I am facing some difficult decisions about things to let go of.  Such as, on a reduced income, what are the things I really don't need?  What are things I can do without?  Others are, letting go of being the authority at school.  Being the principal has always meant I made decisions for the building.  Now, I will be saying things like, let's let the new principal decide that, or lets hold off on that decision until they name the new principal.  Not an easy thing to do.



So for now, I will look at what I will let go of financially.

1.  Clothing budget to be cut by 25% for now.
2.  Gasoline by 25%.
3.  Eating out for dinner by 50%.
4.  Housecleaning?

I can see I am not quite ready to face the reality of retiring quite yet!  Good thing I started thinking about it now!

Would you like to comment?

  1. Clothing by 75%, gas by 50. Food is a huge passion for you and Bob; find somewhere else to cut! Ditto the housekeeper. Or maybe find a teenager who would be cheaper? Or maybe since you won't be working, you could do a housekeeper every other week for deep cleaning and you might have more energy to do the basics? Or drop broad hints about gift certificates for housecleaning as a gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I retired from teaching 5 years ago. I love being retired. The stress melted away.
    I have found that my need for new clothes has dropped about 75%. I get creative with what I have, mixing & matching. I'm more selective with new pieces I buy. We do eat out less, maybe once or twice a week.

    I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I do, Terri. Happy 2014!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I think it's great that you're starting to think it through now. By the time it rolls around, you'll have a good plan in place. And you'll have thought about it so much it won't be such a difficult transition! Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments are like getting a candy cane on your present! Special!