Friday, December 3, 2010

JYC Day 3

Writing Christmas cards is something I very much enjoy.  I create a ceremony of it... sitting at Aunt Francis' desk, using my Waterman fountain pen with green ink, dark, rich hot cocoa at my side, with a little Frank on the CD player.  Last year, and this year, I had my cards designed by an artist named Fifi.  I love her work and it makes me happy to send out cards that reflect my style.  Last year was a painting of my living room and this year it is a painting of my two dogs, Wilson and Truman, who give me great joy.

I also love receiving cards.  One of my traditions is to place my cards on a tree in the foyer.  I love walking by the tree and seeing cards sent to us from family and friends.  I love receiving photo cards.  For those friends who don't we don't see daily, we love being able to catch up on their lives.

2009 Card Tree

I hear that writing Christmas cards is becoming a lost art.  With Facebook, email and blogs, people no longer have the need to catch up at Christmas.  As long as I can, though, I will practice the art of sending cards and sending my holiday greetings to my family and friends.

4 comments:

  1. Yet another thing we have in common....I thoroughly enjoy wending out Christmas cards, and I, too, love the little rituals surrounding it.

    I made out my second batch of 20 last night; I wrote them by candlelight, which I especially love.

    I always have music on, as well, albeit this year it was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King playing the blues, and I was drinking a Coca-Cola! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy writing Christmas cards and you are right, it does seem that fewer people do it.
    I love the idea of putting cards on a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are going in the mail this week! I wrote them several weeks ago and have been waiting a bit to send them. Merry Christmas Triplet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually send out about 75 cards and they are usually out by Dec. 1st!! I am so very behind this year and haven't even started to write them out!!

    Shame on me!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments are like getting a candy cane on your present! Special!